Saturday, March 30, 2013

Reflective and Emotional

I need to back track a little bit...I have been HORRIBLE at blogging, I do mean HORRIBLE.  I really, truly do have the fullest intentions of blogging but whether it's a mind block or something else, I never seem to get to do it. So hello, welcome!!!

Thursday evening- We attended our Church for the Maundy Thursday Dinner.  Our Church is so wonderful-interactive stations for the children (and adults) to learn and understand more of Jesus' life and death, family style dining and an overall feel of WELCOME.  At the end of the dinner, my beautiful 7 year old came up and said "Mommy, can I please wash your feet", the tears started.  How precious a gift is she?  How precious a gift have we all been given?  Then she asked Glenn if she could also wash his feet.  We head over to the foot washing station and this Mama is in tears and my sweet girl says "Mommy, are those tears of joy?", "I love you."  I said they are and that I loved her too.  She then washed Glenn's feet.  When she was done, I asked her if I might wash her feet, she was so thrilled and said that it felt nice. 

Friday morning-Good Friday.  My 5 year old calls it bad Friday and refuses to listen to anyone in regards to how Jesus dying could possibly be good.  She is still young and I do know she will "get it" however I do think it is very sweet that she feels so strongly that Good Friday should be called Bad Friday. 
What is Good Friday to you?  A day off of school/work?  A day to spend with family?  A day of quiet reflection?  A combination of the above.  I haven't really thought about what Good Friday means to me until this year.  Growing up I am sure that I was more excited having the day off from school and work as I got older, although I seem to remember working a whole lot of Good Friday's because it was time and a half?  How priorities have changed!!!
So back to what does Good Friday mean to me-I think it is a time to be thankful and reflective but also spending time with the family and enjoying what we received from our King, our Saviour. 
We attended the Good Friday service, participated in communion, I was once again overcome with emotions.  What Jesus endured for our salvation, no words could EVER come close to describing.  It was a beautiful service.
After service, I went home and wrote in my devotional my thankfulness. 
Then it was time for our family get together.  Our cousins, their children, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters gathered at my Nanny's house for an Easter week-end get together/lunch and egg hunt for the children.  How fun for them.  How awesome to see this amazing group of children running through the open yard searching for Easter eggs and being so excited to find them.  Their eyes open, their spirit shining through and so very free.  It was a fun day, our family is a little lot silly, quite funny (goofy really) and it is evident that we have a strong bond, and a love for each other that is deeply wove.  My Nanny was not feeling well and was unable to make it, which I know would have upset her greatly as there is nothing more that she loves than our family get togethers.  Her grand-children decided we would colour her some Easter pictures to make her feel better (keep in mind we are in our late 20's to early 40's).  I think that sums up my family. 

Saturday- I am working.  Unless you work here you would not believe some of the things that go on but it is my one day a week job outside the home and as long as I stay to my belief system and continue to pray for the people that work here (not all but trust me when I say most) it is really not that bad and hey I am actually able to blog!!!  I am also working through my bible study that we are doing at our Church with Jennifer Rothschild (Missing Pieces) and on my own through the You Version Bible on my IPhone I am doing a parenting study (devotional). 
I am on day 2 of this study and I need to Ask, Read, Reflect and Respond.

Day one-I was to read Deuteronomy 6:6-9.  I read it, wrote it out in my journal and then re-read it, highlighted the parts that were speaking to me.  Here are some of the highlighted words:  commanding you, your minds and hearts, teach, impress upon the hearts of your children, talk of them, bind them, write them.

 

Today's reading (day 2) was from Ephesians 6:2-4.  I did the same thing, read, wrote etc...  Here are today's highlighted words:  Honour, this is the first commandment with a promise, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger, rear them tenderly.

Powerful messages are speaking to me; perhaps even provoking me to change.  Change is a mighty and powerful thing.

I am so thankful for all I have, all I have been given and all I am still yet to receive, all I know is that I am learning (stress on the learning) to let go of the steering wheel and allow the great I am to take control. 

Sending many blessings this wonderful Easter week-end. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post my friend and my heart was bursting for you in your special moment with "J" on Maundy, Thursday service!! Those girls are a gift to each of us blessed to know them!!

    Love you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend xxoo
    J said to Glenn the other day Doug and Sue are really good friends and Glenn said yes J they are.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww.. so sweet! We are... and blessed to be! See you this week ;-) (Twice!!) xo

    ReplyDelete